Hafa Adai!

A spot to follow the adventures of a newlywed moving from Guam to Georgia so she can be there when he gets home from their first deployment. Thanks for joining me! I hope you enjoy and/or find something useful!

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Just chillin

in Maryland! I've been here for about a week now, and I'm loving the weather. I don't know how I was getting by in Guam with the heat! My poor parents have yet to see their power bill from when I moved back in for a bit. It was just around 50 and rainy today and I was hot so I stood outside in a t-shirt and skirt eating cookies and cream ice cream while people rushed around in coats and jackets. The heat is mainly concentrated in my neck and back, which is irksome since that's the part jackets and scarves like to cover.  I guess I could go out in just gloves! My hands are like ice and the rest of me is melting. I like to put them on my neck all the time to cool myself off. Yay pregnancy, we can do this! It's gonna be in the 30's this week, I'm wondering how I'll fare in that.

I'm trying not to compare myself to every other pregnant person I see, which is difficult. I even Google what women look like in certain weeks (15 for this week!) and wonder why I'm either monstrously huge or worryingly tiny in comparison. I don't know if I'm gaining any. My pants no longer button, but my ring is sliding off. Maybe the weight is shifting around? I don't know. We'll see at the next appointment what's going on.

As far as getting things settled in Guam, I think everything is pretty much taken care of. There are a few things left at the house for my ma to pack up and donate to the Philippines, and then a box of stuff to just save for myself. Things I love but never use, like the portable art kit from my brother. It's unbearably awesome and I never feel creative enough for it. I'm all set for Tricare here in MD and I'll be seen at Johns Hopkins (which I am very excited about!) and I have to admit I love how easily things get done around here, a big switch from Guam. I could have had it all done in a day if I wanted to! My next appointment is scheduled and everything, easy breezy. I wish I could apply for WIC while I'm here, but I'm not a resident and I'm only here for about 2 months so I don't know how that's going to work. I can wait until GA for that.

I'm still trying to adjust to the idea that I am no longer bringing in income. I've prepared for the next few months, but it's still hard for me to grasp. I've been working since I was legally able, and under the table before that, so going from that to indefinitely unemployed is another big first for me. I suppose I'm technically not unemployed since I'm not actively looking for work, but hey, no money is no money. Thankfully I have a husband who is ridiculously responsible with money (I can't believe my luck sometimes!) and who is very understanding about the whole issue, and supports me in going back to work as soon as I feel comfortable. That or he just doesn't want me digging in his pockets all the time,which I feel is fair since I would feel better contributing to our finances anyway. I like having my me-money.

Majah update: Her new owners are moving to Burma (I KNOW!) so they're trying to find her another home. I offered my help and have been getting a few hits, but I wish them luck in finding her a home as good as she had with them. They sincerely love her and I know they'll have a hard time letting her go especially if it isn't to a great home. I think the only reason I was able to do it is because I saw how much they loved her and took care of her. The dog lived in paradise, literally on the beach, with crabs and lizards to chase all day long and she built a nest of coconut husks. I just don't know if it gets any better than that. I am scarred for life at how hard it was to let go of her and convinced I will never be able to own another dog. Don't know how I'm going to handle the baby thing if I was that worked up about my dog. I'll probably go nuts if my kid gets sick. If you see me rolling a baby around in a floating bubble, please whack me.  The world has just become such a terrifying place. And to think, I was the one who used to brave it all.

Pre-pregnancy Jes :That puddle? *SPLASH*
Pregnant Jes: PUDDLE?! LEPTOSPIROSIS! *buys rain boots and walks around it anyway*

OH EXCITING NEWS!
I was on Skype with Dats and I felt movement! I think he saw my face look confused and then I tried to explain it... like someone was blowing bubbles, or blowing a raspberry from INSIDE, or popcorn popping. We were VERY excited. He asked me to send him a sleep mask in his next care package, and I told him he better enjoy his sleep because he won't be getting any when he gets home. I will be bugging him all night long.

More updates later!

No comments:

Post a Comment